2008 has been an amazing year of reading for me. Thanks to the Internet I have read many more great books than in other years. In fact about five of my all time top ten will come from books read (but not necessarily published) in 2008. In previous years, I picked books from the shelves of a bookshop, or library, based on the cover, and blurb on the back. I found some good books this way, but most were disappointing.
This year, thanks to sites like Story code, and through reading the recommendations of bloggers, with similar book tastes to me I have found a much higher quality of reading material.
My top ten for the year are:
1. A Fine Balance– Rohinton Mistry
2. Fingersmith – Sarah Waters
3. Random Acts of Heroic Love– Danny Scheinmann
4. Water for Elephants– Sara Gruen
5. Paperchase– Marcel Theroux
6. A Thousand Splendid Suns – Khaled Hosseini
7. A Kestral for a Knave – Barry Hines
8. The Invention of Hugo Cabret – Brian Selznick
9. Middlesex– Jeffrey Eugenides
10. The End of Mr Y – Scarlett Thomas
Thank you for visiting my site in 2008! Have a happy, wonderful year of reading in 2009!