- I think this qualifies as the weirdest news story I found this week: Popular Japanese horror writer Koji Suzuki will publish a short horror story on toilet roll. I can’t imagine anyone is actually going to use it as toilet roll, but I guess it is a good marketing tool!
- The Man Booker Prize has announced that there have been more entries submitted than ever before. Entries for this year’s Man Booker Prize are up from 114 last year to 133 . I found this article about how the books are selected really interesting.
- I’ve just discovered Readiac. The site aims to showcase only books which people love. They are asking for reviews of your favourite books, so if you’d like to submit your gushing reviews, go and take a look.
- Book Binge had a really interesting discussion on infidelity in romance. I’d never really thought about it before, but I think this is why I have a problem with a lot of ‘chick lit’ books, and may be why I didn’t love The Post-Birthday World as much as other people did. I think I’ve realised that I have a problem with infidelity, and just don’t empathize as much with characters who have affairs.
New Blog Discoveries
- I’ve just discovered this new blog in need of a bit of love. I was the first person to comment on it, and so feel I now have a special duty to share my discovery! Verity obviously has very good taste in authors, as she rushed out to buy Little Stranger as soon as it was released, and then read it during her tea breaks! I hope you can welcome her into the blogging world.
- I have also discovered Paperback Reader, if you like my blog then you’ll love hers, as she has a scarily similar reading taste to mine.
Books I’ve added to the wish list this week
- I had never heard of Heather Armstrong and her hugely popular blog, but after reading Heather’s review, I’ve added It Sucked and Then I Cried to the wish list.
- My newly discovered blog, Paperback Reader (see above) managed to add a book to my wish list straight away. Her review of Snow Goose has persuaded me to find a copy soon, and it is only 48 pages long, so should be easy to squeeze into the schedule!
Amazing Give Away!
I don’t often blog about give aways, as they are very rarely international, and those that are often don’t appeal to me, but this one is special:
Nicole at Linus’s Blanket is hosting the best give away I’ve ever seen. (I’m easily excited by rare international give aways!) She is giving away an ARC copy of Catching Fire by Susanne Collins . This is the book I am most looking forward to reading this year, so I’m keeping everything crossed for a win. Wish me luck!